Employee Rights Philly: Paid Sick Leave
As employees, it’s important to be aware of your rights, especially your employee rights Philly!
Did you know that in May of 2015, the Philadelphia Mayor, signed a bill that would require employers to provide paid sick leave, and in some cases unpaid leave?
Who is eligible for paid sick leave under the Promoting Healthy Families and Workplaces Law?
- Those who work in Philadelphia
- Those who work at least 40 hours in a year
Employees will accrue one hour of paid sick leave for every 40 hours worked in Philadelphia. The maximum amount of paid sick leave accrual is 40 hours in a year, unless otherwise stated by the employer. If an employee does not use all accrued time in one year they are allowed to carry over the remaining time into the following year.
Who’s NOT covered under Promoting Healthy Families and Workplaces law?
- Independent Contractors
- Contract workers employed for less than 6 months
- State and Federal Employees
- Employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement
- Seasonal Workers
Unfortunately, those that work for an employer with 9 or fewer employes will not benefit from this new law. Employers with 10 or more employees are required to provide paid sick leave.
What can your sick time be used for?
- An employee’s own preventative medical care, medical diagnosis or treatment, physical or mental health illness
- The care of a family member’s medical diagnosis, treatment, preventative care, mental or physical illness.
- Absence due to stalking, sexual assault or domestic violence. This includes medical attention, legal services for the employee or an employee’s family member, psychological counseling or relocation.
Employee rights Philly workers deserve is an important issue to us at TMH Law! If your employer is in violation of this law, please contact our offices and schedule an appointment to see if you have a claim.