The Fair Labor Standards Act can offer you protection under one of these claims

Are you in need of legal help and representation under the Fair Labor Standards Act?

Unfortunately, unfair treatment at work at work, whether intentional or unintentional is common. Many employees are mistaken when it comes to how they are treated by their superiors. Manifesting in many forms, unfair treatment in the workplace is a common struggle seen across many segments of society.

the fair labor standards actIf you identify with a situation like these, then you may be able to find some restitution under the protections offered by the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Claims Made Under the Fair Labor Standards Act

According to the United States Labor Department, there are several types of claims you can file under FLSA regulations. We at the Law Offices of Thomas More Holland think it is a good idea that you know which claim or claims are there to protect you.

  • Minimum Wage: Per effective date of July 24, 2009, the federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. Many states also have minimum wage laws, which your employer ought to follow, and to your benefit, you are entitled to the higher rate of the two. However, if your employer does not comply with the minimum wage requirement, then you can file an FLSA claim per your minimum wage rights.
  • Overtime: According to the U.S. Labor Department, “Covered nonexempt employees must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 per workweek (any fixed and regularly recurring period of 168 hours — seven consecutive 24-hour periods) at a rate not less than one and one-half times the regular rate of pay.” It is important whether your employment status is exempt or nonexempt. If your status is nonexempt and your employer disregards these standards, then you may have an FLSA claim.
  • Child Labor: If an employer disobeys any legal age and hours employment requirements, this refusal to comply can also result in a claim.

Though this article outlines claims made under FLSA regulations, we at TMH Law always suggest that you first consult a lawyer experienced in FLSA representation. Call TMH Law today.