fender bender attorney in PHLA motor vehicle accident can be traumatic and scary. When you get hit by another car it is often hard to remember what to do.

Considering that 4.5 million people were seriously injured in car accidents last year alone, it’s a good idea to know exactly what to do if it should happen to you. Read on for the five things to do if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident.

1. Gather information

Get the other party’s driver’s license, insurance, and contact information. You can simply take a photograph of their driver’s license and insurance information with your phone. And get the contact information of any witnesses as well. Witnesses tend to disappear so make sure to get their full name and phone number.  Don’t rely on that information making it to a police report.

2. Take pictures

Grab your phone and take pictures. First, make sure to take pictures from different angles. Take them BEFORE you move your car, if possible, especially ones that show the full scene. For example, if someone ran a red light or a stop sign, your photo should show where that light is in relation to the involved cars. Also, take close-up photos that show any injuries as well as damage to your car. Don’t forget photos of skid marks.

3. Get medical attention

If you’re seriously injured, get any medical treatment you need at the accident scene. If you don’t need an ambulance, make sure to see a doctor right away, either on the same day or the next day.

Go to an emergency room, an urgent care facility, or a doctor to get thoroughly checked out. Be thorough and report to your doctor anything that doesn’t feel quite right, including numbness, dizziness, pain, and other symptoms.

4. File a police report

If the police did not come to the scene, you can still file a police report. In Philadelphia, for example, the police often will not come out for minor accidents. However, you can go to the local police station to fill out a report, if needed. If the car that hit you left the accident scene or if there are any questions about liability, it is advisable to file a police report.

5. Call a lawyer

To protect your rights, it’s essential that you talk to a lawyer. Do not give statements to the other party’s lawyer or insurance company, and be cautious of entering into any settlement agreements without talking to a lawyer first. The law surrounding car accidents can be complex so seek legal help if you need it.

Know the steps to take if you or a loved one are involved in a motor vehicle accident. If you have any questions or need help, call The Law Office of Thomas More Holland for a free CONSULTATION. 215-592-8080.