Don’t let your employer rob you of your hard earned wages.

Your first paycheck is probably one that’s etched in your memory as something you earned for the work you completed. Whether you spent that earned money on something you wanted or something you needed you were proud to receive your first paycheck.

late payJust like any other routine, you continued to work and continued to get paid. As the years progressed, you relied on the predictability of your pay in order to attend to your financial responsibilities.  Was there ever a time your paycheck was late? Did the late pay you received affect your financial responsibilities?  What if I told you  that an employer not paying wages on time is in violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act?

Federal and Pennsylvania law states that an employer must set a regular payday, and abide by said pay date unless otherwise stated. Employees must receive their paycheck within 15 days of the end of the pay period, and overtime pay can be paid out no later then the next following pay period.

Whether your employer is known for paying employees late or this is the first time – you have options!

Late Pay Options

Speak  To Your Employer

If it’s the first time your paycheck was late, then speak with your employer to see how it can be resolved. However, if receiving a late wage is a recurring issue it might be time to file a claim or seek legal guidance.

File a Claim

Filing a wage claim with the Pennsylvania Department of Labor can be a step in recovering your unpaid wages. The Labor Department will contact your employer if your wage claim is determined to be valid. If your employer doesn’t produce your unpaid wages, then the Department of Labor can a file suit  on your  behalf. Your employer has at least 60 days from the time you file your claim to pay you. However, if your employer does not pay you within these 60 days  you can be awarded an additional 25% of pay in addition to your late wages.

Seek Legal Guidance

It’s time to seek legal guidance from an attorney that has the experience and expertise in cases like these. Often times issues like wage recovery can get complicated especially if the employer is refusing to pay. If you choose to file an individual suit, there is a statute of limitations on wage recovery. You have up to 3 years from the date your wages were due to file a suit against your employer.

At the Law Offices of Thomas More Holland, we fight for the right of employees to receive the pay they’ve worked hard for. For more information about how you can recover your unpaid wages or for any other violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act, contact our offices today!