Go from victim to victor!

unwelcome-sexual-advancesIf you’ve ever been a victim of sexual harassment at work – you are not alone.  The  Association of University Women describes sexual harassment as “ unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature”.  Unwanted Sexual advances is a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which prohibits employment discrimination based on sex, race, color, national origin, or religion.

In 2015, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission reported the number of sexual harassment claims filed:

  • Total claims filed – 6,822
  • 17.1% of charges were filed by men
  • 11.4% of these claims received settlements
  • 51.7% had no reasonable cause found
  • 5.5% of the claims had reasonable cause

If you’re dealing with unwelcome sexual advances at work, and you don’t know what to do – you have options!

How to Combat Unwelcome Sexual Advances In the Workplace

  1. Consult your Employee Handbook – It never hurts to refresh your memory when it comes to your workplace policies on sexual harassment. Some policies suggest noting each time the harassment occurs by logging the date, time, what was said or done, and if there were any witnesses. This information will be useful if the harassment cannot be resolved through your employer.
  2. Speak Up – Let the person know your concerns about their behavior. Explain what they’ve done, and why it bothers you. Make them aware of the sexual harassment policies, and that they need to stop.
  3. Speak to your Supervisor – Meet with your supervisor and explain the harassment that has been occurring. However, if the one who is harassing you is your Supervisor go to their Superior, and explain the situation. Remember to document everything!  At this point, your employer should take the appropriate steps to correct this situation.
  4. File a Complaint – Now it’s time to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission . You have 6 months  (180 Days) from the time of the harassment to file a complaint with the EEOC.
  5. File a Lawsuit – If you’ve taken all the appropriate steps to stop this discriminatory activity, and nothing has been resolved then you need to seek legal guidance. Take steps to stop these unwanted sexual advancements by contacting the Law Offices of Thomas More Holland!

At TMH Law, you’ll see what an experienced, compassionate, and aggressive attorney can do for those who have been victimized by sexual harassment.


Related Tags: Unwelcome Sexual Advances | Experience and expertise against discrimination